The actions Thursday night into Friday
followed what the Palestinian Popular Struggle Coordination Committee,
an activist group, described as an “Army siege” of their encampment in
Ein Hijleh. Located in the central Jordan Valley not far from Jericho,
Ein Hijleh was hatched a week ago by Palestinian activists on West Bank
land that belongs to the Greek Orthodox Church.
A spokesman for the Israel Defense
Forces said authorities moved in — after having given ample warning to
the demonstrators “to independently evacuate”– “due to rock hurling
earlier this week at the main Jordan Valley route and other legal
considerations.”
“The agitators were evacuated,” according to the military spokesman, by Israeli troops, border guard personnel and police.
Video of the raid aired on Palestinian TV showed hundreds of Israeli troops and police entering Ein Hijleh on foot.
Dr. Mustafa Barghouti, an independent
Palestinian lawmaker who heads a medical relief group, said he saw
bulldozers and other vehicles accompany the Israeli authorities into the
camp using stun grenades and physically manhandling those inside,
including women and children.
At least 24 people — including at least
one with broken ribs — needed medical treatment for their injuries,
Barghouti told CNN early Friday. The Palestinian Popular Struggle
Coordination Committee later tweeted that 35 people were being cared for
— some of them in intensive care — at a hospital in Jericho, which is
about 24 kilometers (15 miles) east of Jerusalem.
No comments:
Post a Comment