Egypt’s
military has denied that its chief of staff, Field Marshal Abdul Fattah
al-Sisi, told a Kuwaiti newspaper he would run for president.
Spokesman Col Ahmed Ali said the report published by al-Seyassah on
Wednesday evening was not accurate and had been a misinterpretation of
his words.The newspaper quoted him as saying he could “not reject the demand” of the people that he should stand.
The field marshal led the overthrow of President Mohammed Morsi in July.
According to the new constitution, an election must take place by mid-April. Correspondents say Field Marshal Sisi would be likely to win, given his popularity and the lack of any serious rivals.
The field marshal has been widely expected to
resign and declare a presidential bid since last week, when the Supreme
Council of the Armed Forces (Scaf) gave its public support.
Following demonstrations at which tens of thousands of people urged
him to stand, it said the “choice of the people” had to be heeded.
No comments:
Post a Comment